Wednesday

Construction: Re-shoots and Re-edits

After gathering sufficient amounts of feedback from various different angles, we set about constructing our final cut of the film. We were very happy with what we have achieved so far, therefore there are just a few adjustments we are required to make.

Points that we have left to address include:

  • Make appropriate changes to foley sounds and dialogue tracks, including over-dubbing the Police Officer in the Graveyard scene.
  • Re-shoot the crane shot in the Park scene, keeping in mind the same creative ideas but improving execution.
  • Solve 'shaky-cam' and lengthy car shot by re-shooting.
  • Add a shot of Police Officer leaving the station to reinforce narrative in that particular scene.

Re-shooting Journal

13th March (Myself)

Today I am planning to re-shoot the car scene; where David leaves work late and finds his car (the last one) in the car park. Last time, I used the car park near to the location where the office-scene was filmed, in Tamworth. However, since our actor, Ryan, is only free for one hour at lunchtime today it will not be possible to get to that location and film in an empty car park. Instead, I spent the morning travelling around the local area scouting for a potential location that would represent an office block car park and that would also be empty. Originally, I intended to use a local industrial estate car park, however, this was particularly busy and an employee recommended me against the idea. Eventually, I found a working mens club building that was empty since it was the daytime. Although it is daytime and we are trying to show a scene taking place at around 7pm, it is overcast so reducing the brightness and exposure slightly would solve our problem.

Overall, filming went very well and in my opinion is much better than the original footage. Since the location we used was very local, I was able to spent nearly an hour with the actor on location, therefore, I took many different shots of the scene, using various angles which I could then put together to create seamless, flowing footage. 

15th March (Myself)

This evening, I have recorded Jack's voice to over-dub the scene where the original sound is too muffled and quiet. This went very well and the whole session was very efficient, we spent time doing many takes from various different distances from the microphone so I could then select the most realistic recording to use in the final soundtrack edit. Once the recordings were in Soundtrack Pro, I could use the razor-blade tool to cut up each individual line and time it accordingly to the visual footage that we filmed back in February.

16th March (Myself, Jodie and Mel)



We travelled back to our original location for the Park scene this afternoon, taking equipment that included the crane. We planned to reproduce the original scene again, just without the technical errors of the crane shot. However, when we arrived on location we discovered that the area of the park that we had used was being dug up for building work to take place. Fortunately, the park was full of potential spots to film so it did not take long to find a new location and start filming. 

Again, filming seemed to go much more efficiently this time round and this resulted in better footage than we expected. Not only did we reuse the ideas from the original footage, but we managed to capture much better recordings of the actor's voices too. 

20th March (Myself, Richard and Mel)

In our final day of filming, we travelled to a police station about 20 minutes away, in Bloxwich. Before leaving, we had visited the station earlier in the week and enquired about filming in the entrance to the building. I was referred to their PR and Media department, were they said it would be fine for us to film the outside of the building. 

Overall, filming went well and although it was only 5 seconds of footage, hopefully this will add to the narrative massively. 

Filming is now finished and the footage will be edited into our existing film and our final cut of the project will be hosted on YouTube very shortly.