Thursday

Construction: Rough Cut

This is our first rough cut of our film. This has been edited using Final Cut Express and exhibited via YouTube.





Before presenting the film to a collection of our peers and handing the feedback process over to them, I will evaluate how successful I personally believe the project has turned out at this stage.


Pros:



  • I believe our narrative is original, authentic to our genre and suitable to our target audience.
  • I also believe the film, as a whole, is enjoyable to watch and not a hardship.
  • I am very happy with certain scenes, in particular the office scenes and specifically the shot executed at 2:44 - 2:50.
  • I think that throughout our film, the mise-en-scene and authenticity of the locations is great.
  • The use of equipment available, such as the crane, has been utilised well.
  • The use of music in the film and the way it is edited is impressive.
  • The way we have represented the characters in the film is accurate and meets our aims and intentions (see costume plot, for when I refer to how we plan to represent our characters).

Cons:

  • There are some issues with the shots at 0:50 - 1:22; they are too long (even though they are being played at 200% speed) and feature a very shaky camera.
  • At 3:57, the camera jolts upwards, which is less than ideal and inappropriate.
  • There is one foley sound of cutlery during the scene where David is at the table which is misplaced and maybe should not even be there. 
  • The titles are a little unclear and the order of cast and crew is not appropriate (cast at start, crew at end).


Overall, I am pleased with the rough cut, but even before the feedback session I am aware of a few changes that we need to make. Although, they are mostly technical issues, as opposed to creative decisions so I am pleased about that.